The school very much subscribes to the vision that primary schooling, in particular, is about much more than just academic results.
Welton CE Academy, near Daventry in Northamptonshire, formally joined the David Ross Education Trust in the autumn of 2012.
Described by OFSTED as an ‘outstanding school’, the Governing Body initially explored the idea of converting to academy status because they wanted to "offer even more opportunities to our pupils, better rewards for our staff, and more chance to enhance the school’s future.”
The school has consistently achieved genuinely remarkable SATs results, in both Key Stages 1 and 2. However, the school very much subscribes to the vision that primary schooling, in particular, is about much more than just academic results. There is a focus on the ‘social and emotional aspects of learning’, while extra-curricular achievements, bolstered by a House system, are encouraged and celebrated. Music, drama and sport are all central parts of the lives of pupils at Welton and they have had fantastic successes in each.
For more information about the David Ross Education Trust visit www.dret.co.uk
At Welton we have a clear vision as to what makes an excellent learning environment for our pupils:
- Every child at our school has every opportunity to learn and grow in a safe, happy, healthy and purposeful environment.
- Every one of our children is unique. We recognise that every child has individual abilities and aptitudes and will have the opportunity to develop these in our school, to become a confident, enthusiastic and effective learner.
- Every one of our children really matters. We focus on every child’s particular learning needs and have the highest expectations of all.
- We focus on both the social and emotional aspects of learning. Teaching the life skills of self-awareness, managing feelings, motivation and empathy.
- We have a broad and rich curriculum, which is challenging and enjoyable. We want everyone to have fun!
- We have high standards of conduct and behaviour, which enable all members of our school to stand up for what is right, to respect and care for the lives, opinions and happiness of others.
- We are a Church of England school and Christian values provide the framework for all of our aims and actions.
- We value the co-operation of parents, governors, staff and the wider community in achieving our vision.
- We believe that education is not the filling of a bucket - but the lighting of a fire! W.B.Yeats
Headteacher - Sol Johnson
Deputy Headteacher - Mrs D Godfrey
Academy Administrator - Mrs N Blackham
Senior Administrator - Mrs K Ford
SENCo - Mrs J Boddington
Reception/Year 1 (Rabbits) – Miss L Mallon
Year 2 (Squirrels) – Mrs D Godfrey (Deputy Head)
Year 3 & 4 (Foxes) – Mrs K Gospel
Year 4 & 5 (Badgers) – Mr T Taylor
Year 6 (Otters) – Miss K Avery
Mrs J Durkin
Miss S Ballinger
Mrs A Page
Mrs A Bateman
Mrs K Isles
Mrs K Gries
Mrs V Wheeler, Mrs J Hall, Mrs S Blake